Thursday, October 31, 2019

The Thoughts


(When Runner’s World cut me loose as a columnist in 2004, I wasn’t ready to stop magazine work. This year I post the continuing columns from Marathon & Beyond. Much of that material now appears in the book Miles to Go.)

2011. Even in today’s seemingly marathon-crazed climate, it can be hard to find someone in everyday life who speaks marathoner language. A friend asks, “How long is your marathon this time?” A spouse wonders, “Why would you want to put yourself through this more than once?” A co-worker wants to know afterward, “Did you win?” Attempts at explanation are lost on them.

This helps explain why runners seek each other out to train together. They hunger for someone who understands and appreciates what they do, and can and will talk about it for hours at a time. Which also helps explain the popularity of marathon training groups. Runners might come together at first for the program and its coach, but they stay together because the miles add up faster with congenial companions than they do alone.

I guide such a training group. Our finish rate is near-perfect, and not because our program is better than any of a dozen others available online. Mine covers the basics of distance, speed and recovery in the usual ways. It works well because the runners follow through with it. They show up each week because a no-show would disappoint their friends. One runner told me, “I would have been asleep had it not been for the date we have every Sunday.”

Some runners arrive as ready-made mini-teams. We’ve had combinations of husband-wife, mother-daughter, father-daughter, sister-sister and brother-sister, as well as inseparable friends (neither of whom would show up without the other). I never assign pace groups, yet they form naturally. Hardly anyone runs alone here unless by choice.

That’s my choice: not to run with this team or any of its individuals. This isn’t because I’m now such a match for these marathoners, when my “long” run is their short, and my “fast” their slow. I run alone because we aren’t alike in another way. I spend much of each day talking with runners, either in person and electronically. Running is my quiet time – a time away from all voices, live and recorded.

Please don’t misread me here. I love runners, and especially marathoners. I love seeing them at Dick Beardsley’s and Jeff Galloway’s camps each summer, and at several marathon finish lines each year. I love watching the fastest ones win (and don’t envy them too much for their endurance, stamina and youth).

I love the slowest for whatever they can do. I love coaching and advising any runner who asks for help. I love reading about runners, sending email back and forth with them, celebrating their successes and commiserating over their setbacks. I love talking with them while standing or sitting still, while choosing not to run with them.

Whenever any runner, known to me or not, passes in the opposite direction, I offer a cheery “good morning,” a wave, a nod, sometimes even a hand slap. When the greeting is returned, the day brightens a bit (or darkens a little when the passing runner refuses even to make eye contact).

But if another runner falls into step with me and wants to stay there, I reach into a bag of old tricks to keep us from staying together. I say, “This is where I turn back,” even when not intending to reverse course just then. Or I say, “Don’t let me slow you down,” while slowing further down myself. Or I simply slow to a walk, a normal break for me but one that few other runners will allow themselves.

The reasons why I’m a loner runner range from historical (reaching back to a time when runners were few and very far between, and if you didn’t run alone you didn’t run much), to practical (never needing to plan a meeting time or place, or to run at someone else’s pace), to professional (already spending a good part of each day discussing the sport without doing more of that while running). But the best reason is personal.

George Sheehan, running’s greatest writer, said he ran for three reasons: “contemplation, conversation and competition.” I’m down to the first of those three. Competition is past, and conversation happens elsewhere. Now I run mostly for the contemplation. The run provides the best block of time each day for quiet, uninterrupted thought. Like Dr. Sheehan, I “write” then, collecting lines to type later.

Later. I quickly add that my most memorable run of 2010 was an exception to all of the above. Most of my runs are good but almost immediately forgettable. Not this one, which was a year in the making.

In 2009 a Dick Beardsley camper named Steve from Illinois asked, “Can I run with you some morning?” I successfully ducked him that week and figured he would forget this request by the next camp. He remembered the rain-check and on his bio page completed the statement, “My camp experience will be successful if…” with, “I go for a morning run with Joe.”

Another camper, Larry, wrote that his experience would be better if “Joe will go for a run with me.” I sensed a movement taking shape. So instead of resisting, I announced at my talk to the campers, “Anyone who run with me tomorrow morning is welcome… as long as you’re willing to do it on my terms.” Which were: “You agree to go my distance, which is short for you marathoners, at my pace, which is the slowest will ever go. You’ll take walk breaks, maybe for the first time. And you’ll ignore distance and go by time.”

I thought, and maybe hoped, these warnings would dissuade everyone except Steve and Larry. Maybe they too now realized how pedestrian my running was and would skip out too. But at the appointed hour that Friday morning I was surprised and not unpleased to find a dozen campers joining me. None complained (at least to me) that this run-walk, where we all stayed together for an hour, was too short or slow. If nothing else, it assured they would start the next day’s half-marathon race well rested.

I enjoyed our conversation enough to try it again. In about a year. After spending a few hundred more runs in contemplation, which is not a team sport.

(Photo: Dick Beardsley got me out of my loner ways and into talking during runs at his training camp.)


[Many books of mine, old and recent, are now available in two different formats: in print and as ebooks from Amazon.com. The titles: Going Far, Home Runs, Joe’s Team, Learning to Walk, Long Run Solution, Long Slow Distance, Miles to Go, Pacesetters, Personal Records, Run Gently Run Long, Running A to Z, Running With Class, Run Right Now, Run Right Now Training Log, See How We Run, Starting Lines, The Running Revolution and This Runner’s World, plus Rich Englehart’s book about me, Slow Joe.]



4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Joe, for this gem! I hosted Larry and Marge in Champaign earlier this year and got to see Steve (and Melody) at my IL Marathon race weekend in April. The DBMRC goes down as some of my very best life memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of
    breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her
    to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to go to
    the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I find a lady
    called peter Lizzy she was testifies to the world about the goodness of a
    herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kind of disease and the
    herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him
    my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be
    cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that
    I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how
    can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me
    That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can
    transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for
    the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier
    service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week
    complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not
    knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the
    miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the
    herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he
    didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him
    and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if
    you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from
    the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him
    +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the
    problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me
    davidclara223@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Joe Henderson, Dr. George Sheehan and you have inspired my running for the best part of forty years. Heartfelt thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello everyone. Dr. Oduku Herbs is a good remedy for herpes Virus, I was a carrier of herpes virus and I saw a testimony on how Dr. Oduku cure Herpes Virus, I decided to contact him, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. After he finish he sent me the herbs which i took for 21 days before asking me to go for a check up and getting there i could not believe that i was confirm HSV 2 Negative after the test, Today i am so happy because i'm free from herpes disease with the help of Dr. Oduku. Thank God now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr. Oduku herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to God for making it possible. you can reach him on his email, i strongly recommend him to any one out here looking for a cure.Contact Dr Oduku via email: odukuherbalremedies@gmail.com or through whatsapp +2349064430408





    .

    ReplyDelete